In the Rehabilitation Gymnasium at MTM Physiotherapy we use
exercise as a fundamental treatment modality in the prevention and
treatment of various injuries and medical conditions. The Exercise
Physiologists work in conjunction with the physiotherapy staff to
coordinate specific and individually designed fitness or rehabilitation
programs. With a diverse range of training and experience our Exercise
Physiologists work not only in the prevention and management of
injury/disease but also to improve strength and conditioning for sport
We believe physical rehabilitation can be a powerful tool after a
traumatic or chronic injury. It enables people to return to pre-injury
levels of fitness and ability more rapidly and can improve psychological
well-being. In turn rehabilitation decreases the need for other forms
of therapy both in the short and long term. Exercise can also be used in
the incidence of many ‘lifestyle’ conditions prevalent in our society,
further reducing reliance on the health care system.
Some of the conditions we design exercise programs for include:
- Motor Vehicle and Work Related injuries through MVIT and most major insurance companies
- Sporting injuries and return-to-sport fitness.
- Post-injury recovery for musculoskeletal injuries of the back,
neck, shoulder, hip, knee, ankle; soft tissue injuries and joint
- Weight loss as a result of injury or inactivity.
- Osteoporosis prevention and management.
- Overcoming back pain with a focus on increasing flexibility,
abdominal and lower back stability, fitness and posture. Using the
- Ante and Post Natal fitness
- Cardiac conditions, including stenting, hypertension, hyperlipidaemia, post-Angioplasty, Bypass Graft surgery.
- Type I and II Diabetes to increase insulin sensitivity and reduce blood glucose.
- Arthritis and Fibromyalgia aiming to decrease pain and increase mobility.
- General fitness and strength for recreation or general health.
We offer many benefits to our patients that they would be less
likely to get from attending a ‘public’ gymnasium. Some of these
- Ongoing monitoring of the patient’s progress and regular feedback, in regards to exercise technique and progression.
- You as a gym member are accountable to someone and as a result
attendance rates are generally higher. Without guidance and appropriate
feedback people tend to lack motivation to continue.
- Qualified staff with skills and knowledge regarding appropriate exercises or contra-indications for particular injuries.
- Many if left to their own devices will not achieve their physical
goals due to a lack of self-esteem or no awareness of their
capabilities, especially after prolonged inactivity.
- Many people dislike being on show in large public gymnasiums. We
offer a small private facility with smaller numbers of patients and more
personalised, individual care in a comfortable, intimate environment.