Living Away from Home Arrangements - Legislation Announcements

By: Osmonds Tax Express  12-Nov-2012
Keywords: Accountants, Accounting & Bookkeeping Services, Tax Accounting

Unfortunately, the legislation has not changed much from the announcement, so the news is still bad. The only substantial change is that the commencement date of the changes has been deferred three months until 1 October 2012, instead of the previously announced 1 July 2012. The new law will treat living away from home allowances as part of an employee's assessable income rather than as fringe benefits. An employee with a living away from home allowance can claim a deduction, but only where the employee maintains a home in Australia for his or her own personal use at all times they live away from. This is limited to the first 12 months the employee is at any particular location. And the deduction is limited to reasonable expenses incurred and substantiated for accommodation and food and drink. There is a further change in relation to the way reasonable food and drink is calculated compared to announcements. Under this legislation, the ordinary weekly food and drink expenses amount is $42 for adults and $21 for children under 12 so a deduction will not be available for amounts spent above this. Employers will pay FBT on living away from home benefits, under similar rules, but not FBT concessions for fly-in fly-out arrangements. It also does not affect travel and meal allowances provided to employees who have to travel from their usual place of work for short periods, generally up to 21 days. The transition provisions means the old rules continue for those employees lucky enough to have a living away from home allowance or a living away from home benefit in place under a contract entered into before budget night (8 May 2012). But only until varied or 1 July 2014. Some practical implications: You can put a house sitter in the house you are living away from but the house sitter cannot be charged rent for house sitting and they must vacate when you return You cannot rent out the house you are living away from that you must maintain. Nor can you sub-lease a house you are renting that you are living away from.

Keywords: Accountants, Accounting & Bookkeeping, Accounting & Bookkeeping Services, Accounting & Tax Services, Accounts Receivable, Bookkeeping and Payroll, Bookkeeping Professionals, Bookkeeping Service, Bookkeeping Services, Business Accountants, Business Bookkeeping, Business Planning, Chartered Accountant, Chartered Accountants, Data Management, Electronic Transfer, Financial Advice, Income Tax Returns, Managed Superannuation, Managed Superannuation Funds, Payroll Services, Public Accountants, Registered Tax Agent, Self Managed Super, Self Managed Super Funds, Self Managed Superannuation, Self Managed Superannuation Funds, Tax Accountancy, Tax Accountant, Tax Accountants, Tax Accounting, Tax Advice, Tax Agent, Tax Consultants, Tax Preparation, Tax Return Accountant, Tax Services, Taxation Services

Other news and updates from Osmonds Tax Express


Building and construction industry reporting

A new reporting regime came into effect on 1 July 2012 requiring businesses in the building and construction industry to report payments to contractors. The first of these reports is due on 21 July 2013. Businesses affected by the reporting regime need to report the contractor’s ABN, name, address, gross amount paid for the financial year, and total GST included in the gross amount.


FBT - Christmas Parties and Taxi Fares

FBT - Christmas Parties and Taxi Fares


Education Tax Refund Replaced by 'School Kids Bonus'

Education Tax Refund Replaced by 'School Kids Bonus'