you a DJ/Electronic Musician/Singer-Songwriter looking to sharpen your
production skills? Just getting started? Ready to take your music to the
stage? Whatever your background, skill level or direction, I can help.
Learn one-on-one or two-on-one from an experienced professional touring
electronic artist in a very well equipped & comfortable studio.
- 15 years recording, producing & performing music
- Ableton live MASTER (Soon to be certified)
- Over 10 years using Logic
- Qualified Pro Tools Instructor
- Native Instruments Specialist
- Access Virus Specialist
- Degree in Music specialising in Technical Production
- Have performed in excess of 400 LIVE shows using a range of platforms both nationally and OS sharing the stage with the likes of Pendulum, Grand Master Flash, Perfect Stranger, Gabe,
Regurgitator, Q-Bert, Bliss’n’Eso, Andy C & GQ, London Elektricity,
High Contrast, OPIUO, Plump DJs, D-Kay & StaminaMC, The Bird,
Shpongle, Endorphin, 28-Days, LTJ Bukem & many more
- Experience working in many of Melbourne’s major studios incl. Sing Sing, 002 & Woodstock
- Work in retail audio – can provide students with Australia’s absolute lowest prices on equipment & help make sure you don’t waste money on the wrong gear
Lessons tailored to meet student’s individual needs covering four broad areas:
Electronic Music Production:
- Programming beats
- Loop manipulation
- Powerful builds & drops
- Creative use of FX
- Creating a balanced mix using EQ, Filters, Reverb, Compression & Stereo Tools
Recording & Audio Production:
- The keys to capturing a great performance
- Composition recording
- Microphones, Mic Pre-amps & Mic Placement
- Using EQ, Filters, Reverb, Compression & Stereo Tools with live instruments
- Setting up a functional and great sounding recording space
- Find out why this is the single most important skill of any electronic artist
- Gain the tools to enable you to create the sounds you hear in your head
- Learn how to reverse engineer sounds you hear in your favourite tracks
- Working with Ableton in a live environment
- Gaining hands on control of your music for a truly spontaneous performance
- Working with & effecting real instruments on stage
- Live looping
Sessions run for 4 Hrs starting at 9:30am, 2:30pm and 7:30pm weekdays.
If you have a friend at a similar skill level bring them along & save money!
have just returned from a 4 month OS tour and have limited sessions
available over the next 8 weeks before I leave again, If you send me a name & contact number I’ll call ASAP to discuss how I can best be of assistance and what we can work out around your availability.
Don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity to take your production skills to the next level!
See me in action with my favourite piece of kit – Native Instruments Maschine:
Have a listen to some of my music:
Here’s some feedback from a few of my current students so you can get an idea of what you’re in for:
I started my lessons with Fred I was only doing music as a hobby, I was
full of ideas but had no direction or know how of what to do with them
or how to turn them from an idea into an actual song,
meeting Fred at Store DJ and having a long chat about the different
paths I could precede down Fred was priceless in his information on
which different software and hardware would be best suited for me. Along
with giving me multiple solutions he also explained the pros and cons
of each one so as in the end I knew enough information to decide the way
I wanted to go confidently.
helping me set up everything I needed to start making music more then a
hobby I proceeded to start production lessons with Fred which has been
probably the best investments I have made to date. I have found Fred
will take the time to explain every program, equipment and technique in
depth enough so you have a firm grasp on the subject but does not waste
time talking about a subject longer then he needs to therefore getting
through a lot of material with out feeling overloaded.
feel that the reason Fred has helped me along so much in such a short
time is not only his wealth of knowledge but also his general persona. I
don’t think if have met a person as welcoming or generally positive in
life as Fred which makes him a pleasure to be around as well as learn
a student the task of learning something new is always incredibly
daunting. To have a teacher who’s enthusiasm and enjoyment matches his
knowledge of the subject matter makes approaching electronic music
production that much more exciting.
is this kind of teacher. Also being able to contact Fred when I'm
having problems and him taking time over the phone to assist me is a
I'd highly recommend him to anyone who is looking for assistance in music production.
met Fred while he was working as a sales assistant at Store DJ and was
immediately blown away by his knowledge and passion for music
production. As a budding music producer trying to get better at my
craft, I quickly jumped at the opportunity to have private tuition and
my instincts were proved correct when Fred showed a broader and deeper
understanding of all aspects of music production than anyone else I had
met. With Fred's help i was able to learn the ins and outs of music
production very quickly. He was always able to answer any question I had
and more than one session stretched on late into the night because we
were having too much fun! Fred's dedication to everything he pursues is
inspiring. He is an incredible human being, an excellent teacher and a
close friend and mentor.
have only had about six sessions with Fred and have found his help to
be invaluable towards improving all areas of my productions and computer
audio knowledge. He has a calm and adaptive approach to teaching the
required techniques which keeps learning interesting and enjoyable. I
highly recommend tuition with Fred, regardless of your musical
background and preference of genre.
has been a great source of support, guidance and knowledge to us
throughout our time seeing him. His will to help and mentor us not only
in music production but also in computer problems, understanding live
music development and world instruments has proved inspiring and
motivating. He has been a great person to get to know and learn from who
is now a close friend in which we would not be able to further advance
and grow in our music and knowledge without!
A. McLerie & L. Myles