AGM Dinner with The Hon David Harper 2014
The Graduate Union Of The University Of Melbourne Inc
Courts, Dinner, Publicity
The Hon David Harper AM QC speaks on 'Sentencing and the Courts - Justice, the media and public opinion' on 29th May 2014 at Graduate House for our Annual General Meeting Dinner.
A summary of the presentation :
When the public thinks of courts it thinks of criminal justice; or, more precisely, how much more effective the courts could and therefore should be in removing criminals from our streets. The courts also resolve civil disputes. But this function, though important, gets little publicity, and so is rarely in the public mind. The vital role of the courts in maintaining the rule of law comes even less frequently into the general consciousness.
The public perception of the administration of justice bears no relationship to the reality. This is a problem for the courts, and for democracy. The ability of the courts to maintain the rule of law is dependent on the respect of the public they serve. That respect is continually undermined by the populist media, which has its own powerful commercial interest in portraying the administration of the criminal law as ineffectual and not in accord with community expectations. These issues will be explored in the address at the AGM.
Brief profile on The Hon David Harper AM QC:
• Barrister 1970-1992; appointed Queen’s Counsel 1986.
• Chair, Victorian Bar Council, 1990-1991.
• President, Graduate Union, The University of Melbourne, 1997-1999.
• Judge of the Supreme Court of Victoria from March 1992 until June 2013 (Court of Appeal from November 2009 until June 2013).
• Member of the Order of Australia since 2008 “for service to law reform, the judiciary and in the area of international humanitarian law and to the community through support services for the care and resettlement of offenders and their families.”
And other numerous Presidential, Chairmanship and Membership positions.
Resident Members $10
Non-resident Members $30
Non-members (guests, general public) $40
Concession (non-members) $35
Book by Tuesday, 27th May, 2014 via our website, by telephoning 03 9347 3428, by emailing [email protected] or in person at the venue, 220 Leicester Street, Carlton, Victoria, 3053.
, David Harper
, Public Opinion
Contact The Graduate Union Of The University Of Melbourne Inc
Print this page