My Toshiba Laptop Won't Charge With the Power Cord
A power cord, or AC adapter, charges a Toshiba laptop battery and powers the laptop. If the battery is not charging while the laptop is plugged into the AC adapter, it is likely that you need to replace either the AC adapter or the battery. You can easily test both to determine which is the cause of the problems. Once you have identified the cause, you need to replace the faulty part. Following the instructions will solve your trouble.
1. Power down the Toshiba laptop. Remove the AC adapter and any other power sources.
2. Slide the battery release mechanism, located on the bottom of a Toshiba laptop, to the right. Continue holding the release mechanism in place while sliding the battery out of the battery bay.
3. Install the AC adapter into the outlet on the right side of the Toshiba laptop. Plug the AC adapter into an electrical outlet that is working. Power on the laptop. This process troubleshoots the AC adapter. If the laptop turns on, the AC adapter is properly functioning. If it does not, replace the AC adapter. Once replaced, the new AC adapter should charge the battery. If it does not, continue troubleshooting the battery.
4. Turn the Toshiba laptop off. Remove the Toshiba PA3822E-1AC3 Laptop AC adapter.
5. Clean the Toshiba battery contacts by dipping a cotton swab in isopropyl alcohol. Rub the cotton swab on the battery and battery bay contacts to remove dust and buildup. While cleaning the contacts, inspect them. If you note corrosion, dings or dents on the battery, replace the battery. Do not use a damaged battery in a laptop as it can cause damage or start a fire.
6. Line up the Toshiba battery contacts with the battery bay contacts. Push the battery downward until it snaps and locks into place.
7. Insert the AC adapter. Charge the battery for eight hours. During this time, do not turn on the laptop or remove the AC adapter.
8. Remove the Toshiba AC adapter. Turn the Toshiba laptop on. Replace the battery with a Toshiba battery if the laptop does not turn on. If it does power on, the battery is charged.