PANDA 2 Variable Energy Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DCP)
TIC Service Group Pty Ltd
Soil Testing, Geotechnical, Pavement
The PANDA 2 Variable Energy Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DCP) from Sol Solution is a portable method for evaluating soil strength. The PANDA DCP provides immediate repeatable results so that on-site decisions can be made straight away. It can be used in confined spaces and difficult to access locations, with no support equipment required. It is used for soil investigation, ground investigation, site investigation and compaction control.
The PANDA 2 is a lightweight (total weight of equipment 20kg) hand held Dynamic Cone Penetrometer which uses variable energy and can be operated by one person to test soils in almost any location to a depth about 6 meters. For deep or repetitive tests, an automatic hammer is available as an alternative to using the 1.7kg hammer. The Automatic Hammer can also be operated by one person.
The advantages of the PANDA 2 include:
- Provides immediate repeatable results so that on-site decisions can be made straight away.
- Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DCP) suitable for soil investigation, ground investigation, site investigation and compaction control.
- Variable energy means the operator can change the force applied so more data points can be taken in weak materials, like tailings.
- Direct GPS input for location purposes
- Graphical representation of the data (penetrogram) on the hand held terminal, potting depth and cone tip resistance (qd)
- For compaction control, the PANDA data acquisition and analysis software has an integrated compaction control database for various soil types – the measurement of the driving depth (mm) and cone tip resistance (qd) is compared to a database based on the type of soil (soil classification), its water content and the required compactionPANDA Dymanic Cone Penetrometer (DCP) on Mine Site quality (%OPN or OPM). The related pre-calibrated reference and refusal lines, when compared to the test data, allow an assessment of the quality of the compaction to be made. Anomalies calculation is done automatically with the PANDA software.
- For soil investigation, a geological profile (database available) can be associated with the penetrogram.
- No manual data recording (data recording / transposition errors eliminated)
- Natural and recycled materials verification of compaction
- CBR % values throughout depth of penetration
- Monitoring layer thickness, and compaction homogeneity
- Layer identification
- 5 minutes per test with results viewable on site
- Ability to reach 4-6 metres depth in soils with a cone resistance of 20-30 Mpa.
- Easy to use
- Safe to operate (overcomes the safety issues of hand / finger crushing and back injury associated with the conventional Dynamic Cone Penetrometer (DCP)
- Small, portable and lightweight (one person operation) – 20kg unit
- Compact light weight design makes investigation of sites in confined spaces and difficult to access locations or remote areas possible. No support equipment is required.
- Cost effective as single person operation
Applications for the PANDA 2 Variable Energy Light Weight Dynamic Cone Penetrometer include cable and pipe laying, trench work, flexible pavements, unsealed roads and mine access roads, landfill facilities, tunnels, railway track beds, cuttings and embankments, airport runway and taxiways, hard standing areas, dam construction, canal building, building foundations, electricity pylons and poles, property sub-divisions, mobile crane foot standing pads (outriggers) and telecom masts.
Clients include those involved in pavement construction, pavement rehabilitation, material testing, geotechnical testing and site investigation and include utilities (gas, electricity and water), road authorities and councils, asset managers, mines, mobile crane operations, engineering and construction groups, subcontractors, geotechnical consultancies and research organisations.
, Compaction Control
, Dynamic Cone Penetrometer
, Flexible Pavements
, Geotechnical Engineering
, Geotechnical Testing
, Nuclear Density
, Nuclear Densometer
, Nuclear Gauge
, Pavement Rehabilitation
, Pipe Laying
, Preliminary Investigation
, Site Investigation
, Soil Investigation
, Soil Testing
, Sub Grade
, Sub Soil Evaluation