Natural Area Restoration
Natural State has extensive experience in natural area ecological restoration projects in Tasmania, Victoria & South Australia.
We work hard to protect and enhance native bushland on private land, and within protected areas; such as National Parks, State Forest Reserves, Conservation Areas & Indigenous Protected Areas. Through our work, we have enhanced many threatened vegetation communities over the years. We've also delivered projects which protect threatened flora and fauna species, through the implementation of National Recovery Plans.
Effective ecological restoration work requires a multi-disciplinary approach and an understanding of the environmental sciences (biology, botany, chemistry, ecology), conservation & land management, and horticultural principles and techniques, such as Integrated Pest Management. We try to understand, and work with, the natural ecological functions unique to your site.
Apart from delivering professional ecological restoration projects for almost 20 years, we also offer the lived experience of managing native forest for conservation outcomes through our Land for Wildlife covenanted property.
We prefer to take a more holistic and strategic approach to natural area restoration. Experience has taught us that adequate conservation planning is vital. Potential threats to ecological integrity need to be recorded, and abatement strategies need to be defined, before commencing any on ground interventions. We prefer to be involved in the planning process from the beginning so we can save our clients money, time and valuable resources.
Our natural area restoration services include:
- Conservation Planning using a range of tools including: risk management, GIS, cost/benefit analysis, and monitoring.
- Bushcare work - minimal disturbance weed control techniques in high conservation value native vegetation, requiring experienced operators, advanced plant identification skills and high standards of work.
- Strategic weed management using a range of techniques - cut & paint, spot spraying, handline spraying, slashing, brushcutting and mulching.
- Revegetation and strategic ground disturbance to encourage natural regeneration of native vegetation.
- Stock or browsing animal exclusion fencing to protect or enhance native vegetation.
- Invasive species management – European wasps, cats and rabbits.
- Monitoring pre and post works.
We use a range of specialised tools and machinery and we collaborate with other experienced and competent contractors and consultants to get the best results for our clients.
Our aim is to work with landowners to provide guidance, information, skills and knowledge to build capacity for them to feel confident enough to manage their properties for conservation outcomes.
We follow the ecological restoration principals outlined in the publication 'Ecological restoration for protected areas: Principles, Guidelines and Best Practices' by K.A. Keenleyside,, N. Dudley, S. Cairns, C.M. Hall, and S. Stolton (2012).