Teak decks look impressive when they are cared for the right way. Neglect your teak deck and it will look old, grey, worn and dirty. Look after your teak the right way with regular cleaning and UV protection and your teak will look great every time you use your boat.
There are multiple steps involved in bringing back a neglected teak deck to make it look like new again:
· If the teak has been channeled out by high pressure cleaners and stiff brushes then the teak needs to be sanded back flat;
· With older decks the caulking may also need to be replaced;
· After sanding and re-caulking as required, the teak can be left to look natural or treated with a protective coating to achieve a “wet” look.
· The “natural” look requires regular cleaning and brightening to stop the teak turning grey again.
· The “wet” look protective coating needs to be re-applied every 3 – 6 months for external teak and 6 – 12 months for teak in covered and protected cockpits and saloons.