Guide to writing cover letters
Job Seeker Coach
Here is a guide to writing a good cover letter:
• Keep it short.
• Type it unless you are asked for a handwritten letter.
• Write the letter in an easy to read style and do not use jargon.
• Check it for spelling and grammar mistakes.
• Ask someone else to read it.
• Use “I” words to describe what you have done and your skills: “I can ...”, “I am experienced in ...”.
• Use a different letter for each of your job applications.
Next week, I will describe a suitable format for a cover letter.