Cover Letter Format
Job Seeker Coach
Cover Letter, Job Application
Here is a guide to a suitable format for a good cover letter:
• Whenever possible, address your letter to a person. Try to get a name when an advertisement tells you to apply to a department or a position.
• Include the vacant position title and number as a letter heading. Put it in bold font, not underlined.
• In your opening paragraph, say where you saw the position advertised.
• In your second paragraph, say something about what role you are currently in and what you are doing.
• In your next paragraph(s), you should say how you are suitable for the position. The length of this part of the letter will depend on whether the letter is simply a cover letter to a separate attachment that responds to specific selection criteria, or whether this is a detailed application letter.
• Another paragraph could include a positive statement about how you believe you could contribute to the organisation and that you have the ability to do the job well.
• In your final paragraph, say that you look forward to discussing your application further at interview and say that you are enclosing your resume/CV and a response to the selection criteria (if relevant).
• Sign off your letter with “Yours faithfully” if you opened with “Dear Madam/Sir”.
• Sign off your letter with “Yours sincerely” if you opened with “Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms/Dr Brown”.
• If sending the letter electronically, convert it to PDF format first; it produces a more professional outcome.
, Job Application