Asken - Database Development
Asken Research Pty
Access Databases, Free Access Databases
| || || |
Microsoft Access Database Development
At Asken, one of our core services is the development of custom Microsoft Access
databases to suit your requirements.
Secondary to that are the following -
- Customising databases we have already developed,
to suit your requirements.
- Modifications to Microsoft Access databases that
you already have, either in development or actively
- Conversion of Access databases from one version to
- The usual services to compliment development, such
as data structure and interface design, testing
services, data entry, and technical and user
We have put together a simple method for
you to get that long awaited database project finally
started. The method is simply a basic database
structure that you can then customise to your
requirements. We call it the Foundation Database as
it forms the foundation of your system.
The Foundation Database
- It is a complete multi-user database application
in a split configuration; two files, one for data
and the other for the interface. The maximum number of
users is limited only by Microsoft Access
- Data file version validation to ensure your copy
of the interface is compatible with the data file.
- Interface version validation to ensure no user is
working with an older version of the interface.
- System information, such as the path to the master
interface and data files,
is stored in an INI file, not the Registry.
- Basic tables for report and lookup list
management, interface and data version tracking.
- Data-entry forms for maintaining lookup
tables and system defaults.
- A complete categorised report listing for
unlimited reports. This includes report filtering
and multi-listing in categories.
- A similar categories listing for queries (view) of
your raw data.
- System Defaults for display on the Startup form of
your organisations name, your logo, logo background
colour and the name you give the database
Once you have decided to use our services we provide
this Foundation Database to you in a
single file format for your evaluation, before you
have to worry about the final design of forms etc.
This gives you some essential assistance -
- You actually have something tangible to play with.
- You can see immediately how the interface looks.
- You can actually use the database, editing some
records etc to get a feel for it.
- You can generate reports to see how that works to
assist with designing you own reports.
- And best of all, you get to see the quality of the
systems we produce.
Modifying the Foundation Database
Once you have the Foundation database,
it is then a process of identifying the data you want to
record and the functionality you want to include.
To assist with this we have packages of specific
objects and functionality that we offer to again make it
easier for you to identify the changes required. Once
you identify the packages you require, and their
properties, we can give you a fixed price on
| Package || What
It Includes |
| Table ||This is simply a table for storing data. The package
- design and build of the table, including all fields and their
- and all relevant relationships to enforce data integrity,
- linking to the interface and functionality to maintain the link.
| Basic List Form ||This is a form that includes functionality for maintaining
the data in a specific table. It contains a lot of functionality that
The add/edit dialog forms include -
- a list for displaying the data in the table,
- one (1) filter option for filtering the list (e.g. Active or
- an Add button for displaying a dialog for adding a new record,
- an Edit button for editing a selected record,
- and a Delete button for deleting a selected record.
- business rules you specify that must be applied to validate the data
being entered, such as minimum and maximum values,
- required data indicators and validation, as specified by you,
- up to 5 displayed calculations based on the input data, as specified
- input mask as required by you,
- and display formats as required by you.
| Basic Column Report ||This is a basic report that lists data in a
column format. The report includes -
- a basic filter form with one (1) filter option, such as record
status or date range,
- portrait page formatting
- as many columns as will fit in portrait mode, your choice,
- record sorting as you specify,
- report header showing your logo, a title, details of any filter
applied, static description of the report, if required,
- page header showing report title and application name, as you
- page footer showing date generated and page number,
- and if the columns are numeric, a report footer with grand totals of
the columns, if required,
- and included in as many categories as you require.
| Basic Query ||This is a read-only view of your raw data. It is displayed
as a datasheet with the associated functionality so you can filter the
data, change sorting, move columns etc, and then take the data across to
Microsoft Excel for analysis or any other purpose, or just print it
The package is basically just the building of the query based on up to
five (5) tables you select, not including calculated fields.
All packages have been designed to include the basic
set of functionality required for most applications.
However, we can modify all packages to suit your needs.
For example, you may want further filtering options on
the list in the Basic List Form, such as filtering
by customer or product type.
You may also require more grouping in reports, charts
on forms or reports, specific buttons and functionality on
list forms that perform some action on a selected item.
The possibilities are many.
Unless your needs are fairly basic, and a lot of
databases we build are, you will probably need further
modifications. We provide those on a as-needed basis for
an hourly rate.
How Do We Work
Our desire is to keep the process as
simple as possible, yet comprehensive enough that we
deliver the result you desire.
If we don't, give us an ear full.
If you reside in Australia you can pay be cheque or
we can arrange for direct deposits to our bank account.
And finally, if you provide us with your credit card
details and written authority we can process payments
Don't sweat over it. Working with you we can work out
your needs, identify priorities and tailor the
development process to fit your unique situation.
So What Now?
Well, if all this leaves you saying 'Hey What!', don't
panic. If it is all clear and sounds like what you want,
that's great. Regardless, talk to us.
I am confident you will not be disappointed.
, Free Access Databases